Sunday, February 22, 2009

Amy Gibbs - Reflection 2

            In Ms. Reifler’s fifth grade classroom at Reedy Creek Elementary, there is a sense of community embedded within the day through various forms.  There are rules, greetings, meetings, and school wide programs that allow the students to form a sense of community as they come to their classroom everyday.  It is through these forms that students feel secure, safe, and welcomed which is essential in every classroom.  When students are provided with security they are able to freely expresses their ideas and learn from one another rather than feel unable to express their ideas, which may in turn suppress their learning by a great amount. 

            As students walk in Ms. Reifler’s classroom they are welcomed by a morning greeting.  There is a routine for students to follow as Ms. Reifler then greets each student as they enter the classroom. There have been a few times I have noticed particular students that are not welcomed or acknowledged when they come into the classroom, it is evident that their day begins with a bad start.  As I begin to think about my own classroom, I will remember the faces of the students that were not greeted and the look of insecurity and self defeat that the students seemed to carry if Ms. Reifler happened to not greet him/her in a positive manner. 

            Another important aspect of creating a sense of community in the classroom is class discussions on rules and guidelines for the classroom.  Since my partner, Tara, and I have been in the classroom, Ms. Reifler has decided to have a reward system for good behavior.  There was one day in particular where she opened up for classroom discussion about how she might reward their good behavior.  Students were able to vote on a classroom reward.  As students were able to vote, it gave each student a sense of pride in that they were apart of making a classroom wide decision.  Allowing students to discuss and make decisions in the classroom really gives students this sense of community that is so crucial.

            Another aspect that is offered to provide a sense of community is a school-wide program that directly involves the students.  At Reedy Creek Elementary there is a news team that is run by a group of students. This groups changes over the school year, which allows interested students to anchor news stories that involve events that are occurring at Reedy Creek.  I believe this a wonderful way for students to feel connected to their school, which allows students to believe that they have a major part in what is going on, again offering them a sense of community. 

            Overall, Ms. Reifler’s class is given opportunities through various forms that offer students with the ability to feel safe, secure, and welcomed.  It is evident in her classroom that she does care about her students and that she does want them to feel safe, secure, and welcomed.  However, I do believe some students are lacking these things because Ms. Reifler may overlook some of her students.  While it is not clear whether this is intentional or not, I have learned a great deal about how I should really begin to think and process how I will combat the tendency to overlook some of my students.  I am grateful to have the opportunity to see first hand how this is a very important issue that should be addressed in classrooms.  Through my field experience I have been able to really observe how this issue should be at the forefront of my mind as a teacher.  Every student should be cared for and welcomed so there is a sense of community within the classroom.  

2 comments:

  1. I think that it is great for the students to form guidelines and rules as a class. This gives them ownership over their expectations and helps to create a learner centered atmosphere!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so sad that some of the kids feel insecure when the teacher does not greet them in the morning. It is so important to make every student in your class feel loved and accepted. I know your teacher probably does not do it on purpose so I know as a teacher I will have to be careful about that as well.
    I loved that your school did the student led news! I used to do that at my Elementary School and absolutely loved it! I really helps, I think, to have students making the announcements because really gets them involved and can help cross the gap that is sometimes there between the administration and the students.

    ReplyDelete