Sunday, February 22, 2009

My teacher, Mrs. Jackson, makes a strong effort from the beginning of the year to create classroom community. I can tell by the conversations we have had and by evidence found around the classroom. On the very first day of school together the class created rules that they all agreed to follow. Even Mrs. Jackson said she would treat them equally by following the same rules towards them. I think that is a very positive idea for a teacher to do. I have also heard of other teachers in the school writing rules for themselves that they make up with the students. That is another neat way to build a fair relationship with your students. Every morning Mrs. Jackson holds a morning meeting. In my opinion this is one of the best ways to vui9ld your classroom into a community. This is a time where they whole class meets and discusses topics such as the agenda for the day or issues disrupting the classroom. It is a place fore open discussion where issues can be resolved to make the bay better and keep a positive atmosphere throughout the room. Mrs. Jackson has a monthly birthday list that she has posted up in the classroom. This helps the teacher and students learn more about each other. Watching the way the children associate with Mrs. Jackson and one another it is evident that the class has developed a close community. The school as a whole I have noticed acts as a community too. There were many times when the principle at Swift Creek would stop by to see how the day was going. That shows he has a good relationship with his staff and the students. I think the principle’s actions probably have a big influence on how well the school acts as a community. I can even tell from the morning announcements how personal the staff seems on the TV. During this time they also list and wish happy birthdays every morning to the whole school. The entire school, all students and staff, use the same acronym ROAR as their disciplinary system. ROAR stands for Respect, On the path to success, Act Responsibly, and Remember self control; I think each of these are great goals for the students to follow. Each morning at the end of the morning announcements the school repeats the ROAR pledge, school motto, and yells out their graduation year. That keeps the children refreshed on rules and motivated. Swift Creek Elementary is an awesome school and I enjoy being a small part of their community.

2 comments:

  1. Heather, I love Mrs. Jackson! She has such a laid back manner with the kids that I think makes them feel safe.
    Glad you are enjoying Swift Creek!
    Kari

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather, It sounds like Mrs. Jackson has set a foundation for a great classroom community. I really like that they have morning meeting. I feel like some of the 3-5 teachers think that morning meetings stop after 2nd grade, but they really shouldn't! I know my class this year could really use a morning meeting. It really helps work through issues, and generally bring the class together as a collaborative community to discuss anything! Great observations!

    ReplyDelete